Photo by Paride81. In Puglia there is a wonderful place that blends history and nature together: the Baia dei Turchi beach . Located north of Otranto, this beach is one of the 100 places protected by the FAI in Italy and is also part of the protected Oasis of the Almini Lakes , not far from them. It is certainly one of the most beautiful places in Salento thanks to the crystalline water and the breathtaking panorama that has allowed the conquest of the coveted blue flag and the 5 sails of Legambiente . Today we want to tell you a little about this place, it could be a valid idea not only for your summer holidays, but also for a day of escape from everyday life.
Images and videos of the Baia dei Turchi
Photo of the Baia dei Turchi in Otranto in Puglia
Photo of the Lido in the Bay of Turkey in Otranto in Puglia
Video of the Baia dei Turkey in Otranto in Puglia
Photo of the entrance to the path of the Pineta in the Baia dei Turkey in Otranto in Puglia
Photo of the path that leads to the Bay of Turkey in Otranto in Puglia
Photo of the Bay of Turkey in Otranto in Puglia seen from the sea
Photo of the Bay of Turkey in Otranto in Puglia
How to get there
To reach the beach of Baia dei Turchi yes they can use public transport that leaves from nearby cities, such as Lecce and Otranto. Alternatively use your own machinewhich you can then leave in one of the car parks near the beach . Once you have reached the entrance, to get to the beach it will be necessary to take the path flanked by the pine forest of about 200/300 meters. Below you will find all the information you need on how to get to the beach by
- From Lecce : take bus 165 to Porto and then change to 101. Get off at the Club Med entrance and continue on foot. Alternatively, from Lecce station take bus 101 and continue for 16 stops.
- From Otranto : take bus 101 to the Club Med entrance and continue on foot.
- From Lecce : you will arrive at your destination in about 45 minutes along the SS16 – Get directions
- From Otranto : you will arrive at your destination in about 15 minutes along the SP366 – Get directions
Where to park: cars, motorcycles and campers
There are several parking lots near the beach. Some of which are located a bit far from the entrance, therefore they provide a shuttle service (included in the price). As already mentioned, once you reach the entrance you will still have to walk for about 200/300 meters. Prices start on average from € 4.00 per day. Here’s where to park your vehicle:
- Agriturismo 2 Palme : 300 m from the beach and equipped with parking for cars, motorcycles and rest areas equipped for campers. Equipped with shuttle service – Get directions
- Orient Parking : 3 minutes walk from the beach – Get directions
- Santo Stefano Baia dei Turchi Park : 1.5 km from the beach provides a shuttle service that takes you to the beach in 5 minutes – Get directions
Free beach, lidos and bathing establishments
Photo by Paride81. The Baia dei Turchi Beach offers several options to please all its visitors. Inside you can enjoy the free beach as well as the Lido Baia dei Turchi , equipped with a well-stocked bar. Prices in high season start from € 30.00 per day for umbrella + 2 sunbeds . Despite the beauty of the place, the surface of the beach is not very large, for this reason it is advisable to arrive early in the morning.
Where to sleep in the surrounding area: hotels, campsites and villages
Staying near the Baia dei Turchi beach is very simple. In fact, the area is full of hotels and residencesand places to stay overnight. Given the overwhelming nature of the area, we recommend that you choose one of the estates and farmhouses in the area. In this way you can enjoy your holiday in a typical Salento location. The recommended accommodations start from € 60.00 per room per night, see the offers.
What to do and see in the surroundings
Photo of Gpizzuti. The area offers various possibilities for recreation , provided by the same places of overnight stay. For example, the Baia dei Turchi Hotel offers its guests horseback riding, bike tours, sailing trips , as well as tasting activities of typical local products.
If you want to visit the architectural beauties of the place instead you could do atour in the historic center of Otranto , less than 5 km from the Baia dei Turchi beach. If you want to enjoy the sea from another perspective, moving away a little from the Bay you could take advantage of Hydra Boat Excursions or visit one of the local equestrian centers. For the evening instead you can experience the nightlife in La Dolce Riva, just 2 km from the beach:
- Hotel Baia dei Turchi : excursions on horseback, by bike and by boat with prices from € 50.00 per person – website
- Hydra Boat Excursions : boat excursions from the port of Otranto – website
- Circolo Ippico Tumara : excursions and horse rides – Facebook page